Winter weather is here and the plight of dry, itchy skin has arrived with it. Dry skin is annoying, uncomfortable and can be painful. It can be difficult to find a healing solution that is not only effective, but economical and natural. Slathering your body with lotion every day is one solution, but some of these skin care products can be expensive,not to mention may irritate your skin if used in excess. And if dry skin isn’t taken care of properly, it can develop into more severe conditions that may require much more attention.
NATURE TO THE RESCUE
Did you know nature offers many solutions when it comes to healing dry, cracked skin. Most natural remedies are quite efficient, cost effective, and very easy to find. So if you’re tired of feeling like you’re part alligator; give these methods a try!
WATER, H20, AQUA....It seems like water makes the top of every list and here’s why! Water keeps your body hydrated, which in turn keeps your skin hydrated. One sign that you don’t drink enough water is your lips begin to crack. Chapstick or other lip balms may act as solution for rehydrating your lips, but drinking water is the primary defense behind keeping your skin hydrated.
Cool Tip: *If you’re all watered out for the day, try drinking a warm glass of milk with a couple of teaspoons of almond oil before you go to bed.
- Moisturize, Moisturize, Moisturize. Lotion is so important in keeping your skin hydrated, but you can’t just use any lotion. Personally, I love using St. Ives 24 Hour Intense Healing lotion. I’ve found that I have the most success with this lotion, but some of you may need to use a more gentle lotion. Baby lotion is one of the best lotions you can use – it doesn’t get more gentle than that! Unless you buy an all-natural and organic lotion, common moisturizers can contain other chemicals that actually dry out your skin. So read the ingredients!
- I GOT MILK! For thousands of years, queens were known to bathe in milk – and for good reason - It contains nutrients which are known to make skin silky smooth and healthy. Soaking in a tub full of milk and warm (not hot) water will do wonders for your skin.
- Fruit to nuts to Honey? Try coconut, avocado, or sesame oil rubbed all over your body. Even honey is a great moisturizer (try adding some to your Milk bath)! Rub honey on your skin and let it sit for a few minutes; then soak in a nice warm bath.
- If you struggle with dry skin on your face, try this concoction: Mix an egg yolk with a teaspoon of olive oil and a teaspoon of orange juice. Add a few drops of rose water and lime juice, then apply the mixture to your face. Leave it on for 15 minutes and then wash it off.
- GO BANANAS Suffering from dry and cracked heels? Rub a banana peel on your heels. Seriously.
- NO SMOKING! Another one that makes every health list is this: quit smoking! There are so many benefits to being a non-smoker, and smooth skin is one of them. Don’t believe me? Google ‘smoker’s skin’ and see what comes back.
There are plenty more natural solutions such as:
- warm showers/baths instead of hot
- adding oily fish like salmon to your diet
- consider switching your laundry detergent to a sensitive skin detergent and using less of it… the list goes on.
If you’re like me, you may suffer from a more intense version of dry skin known as Eczema. Every winter, without fail, I have an eczema breakout. In addition to consistently applying lotion within 15 minutes of getting out of the shower or bath, I’ve found that our Naturasil for Eczema works really well. Naturasil also has an amazing anti-wrinkle and anti-aging product Naturasil Anti-Wrinkle Serum that contains 100% Organic Moroccan Argan Oil. Argan Oil is known for its ability to treat dry and flaking skin and keep skin moisturized. It also contains high amounts of vitamin E, which protects your skin from the elements and helps repair any damage that has already been done.
Another great alternative is Proteque Intensive Therapeutic Skin Lotion. This amazing cream is made specifically for Eczema and Dermatitis Suffers. It's been clinically tested and is steroid free and fragrance free. It's even recommended by dermatologists for babies, children and adults.
This winter, before you run out and buy expensive products that may or may not heal your damaged skin, give these tried and true home remedies a try – you won’t regret it!